Bulkowski's Stock Market Research
As of 05/28/2015
18,126 -36.87 -0.2%
8,367 -76.90 -0.9%
588 1.54 0.3%
5,098 -8.61 -0.2%
2,121 -2.69 -0.1%
or 17,700 by 06/01/2015
or 8,200 by 06/01/2015
or 565 by 06/01/2015
or 4,825 by 06/01/2015
or 2,050 by 06/01/2015
Written and copyright © 2005-2014 by Thomas N. Bulkowski. All rights reserved.
This page is the gateway to research studies, listed by category, that I have conducted on price patterns and the stock market. Since the category
assignment is almost arbitrary, meaning they can belong in more than one category, be sure to review each one.
- The best performing chart patterns over 1, 2, and 3 months.
- Chart pattern breakouts: Which candlesticks appear most often the day before breakouts?
- Dead-cat bounces: Which industries have the fewest?
- Double tops. Shows a new way to predict the time to reach a price target.
- Dutch auction tender offers. Can you make money trading these?
- Failure rates. Chart patterns fail more often than before.
- High and tight flags: Do they live up to the promise of the best performing chart pattern?
- Noise. Find out how long stocks and ETFs trend.
- Pattern frequency. How often do patterns appear?
- Pattern width I examined pattern width and time to reach the ultimate high/low.
- Price mountains. How long to recover after a price run-up and run-down?
- Partial rises/declines and throws/pulls. Do throwbacks/pullbacks occur more often after partial rises and declines?
- Bad quarterly earnings. What happens next?
- Trendiness. What patterns are best for swing traders?
- Top 10 reversals and continuations. A short list plus download.
- Triangle apex and turning points. Price turns at apex 60% of the time.
- Ugly patterns: Do they outperform? Yes.
- Width, peak and valley. Use the width of peaks or valleys to improve trading results.
- Best buy days. Which day of the week is the best one to buy or sell?
- Best buy months. Can buying at the end of the worst performing month and selling at the best performing be profitable?
- Buy low or buy high? Buy near yearly low for larger gains, less risk.
- Divergence testing. How well does divergence work? The results will surprise you.
- Dollar cost averaging. This doesn't work...or does it?
- Fibonacci extensions. Do they work?
- Fibonacci retrace. Place a stop 67% of the prior rise.
- Height and width study. Tall patterns outperform.
- Hold time loss. This can help with initial stop placement.
- Holidays. Does the market rise or fall before and after holidays? Answer: Fall.
- Hold on. How long to you need to hold onto a stock? Find out...
- Long or short? Selling short is a losers game. Or is it?
- Market cap. Chart patterns in small cap stocks outperform.
- Market longevity. How long does the typical bull/bear market last?
- Market & stock trends. Buy in a downtrend, sell on the uptrend.
- Money management. Where should you place a stop on breakout day?
- Moving averages. Boost performance using chart patterns with moving averages!
- Pattern styles. What chart patterns are best for swing and position trades? Find out.
- Pivot points. For day traders, how well do pivots work?
- Overhead resistance study. This study identifies tips on how to momentum trade.
- Price stages. Does Stan Weinstein's four stages work? Yes!
- Scaling out. Should you sell a portion of your stock?
- Seasonality. What are the best months to buy and sell stocks?
- Shadows. Do tall candle shadows predict price turns? Yes and no.
- Stops. Research reveals how often stops are hit.
- Can Stops Hurt?
- Swing traders. Any retracement will do for a swing trade. Here are some tips.
- Symmetry. Do head-and-shoulders with extended right shoulders underperform? Yes.
- Tall candles at peaks and valleys. Tall candles appear at turning points.
- Tall candles show support and resistance.
- Throwbacks. After a throwback, when should you buy?
- Trade with the trend. What's more important, the industry or market trend?
- Overlap. Does congestion before the breakout matter? Yes.
Price Related Research
- Countertrends. The market moves up, but a stock drops. Is that good or bad for the stock?
- Day traders: When does price hit the day's high or low?
- Pattern confirmation. Should you trade before price confirms the chart pattern?
- Distribution days. Do distribution days foretell a coming price decline?
- Low priced patterns: Do they outperform? Yes. Best is $0-$10 range.
- Price doubles, then what? Stocks that double or drop in half show surprising performance a year later.
- Price recovery. Do stocks that decline least in a bear market rebound furthest?
- Price trends. Consecutively higher/lower closes before the breakout offers performance clues.
- Price trends. Price trends over the last year helps make buying stock easier.
- Price velocity is similar on entry and exit from chart patterns.
- Price volatility. Stocks with volatility too high or low hurt profits.
- Price volatility vs. performance. Higher volatility is good.
- Quick rise, then what? A stock doubles within 6 months then moves sideways for how long?
- Reversal times. When does price reverse during the day?
- Relative strength (industry). Holy Grail of investing?
- Relative strength (stocks, part 1). Not a Holy Grail
- Relative strength (stocks, part 2). Trading relative strength
- Relative strength of a stock compared to the S&P 500 index. Find out more.
- Relative strength Index (Wilder RSI). Works best with new settings.
- Factors influencing stocks. Find out how important trends are.
- Hardware survey. How many monitors, computers, etc. should you have?
- Study of studies. An intriguing snapshot of various studies.
- Volume. Does increasing volume suggest a more powerful and lasting breakout?
- New volume study. After a high volume breakout, performance doesn't improve much but failures triple.
-- Thomas Bulkowski
Written and copyright © 2005-2014 by Thomas N. Bulkowski. All rights reserved. I can't remember what I forgot to forget.